Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Babysitting and Blankets


I keep forgetting that there are people who actually read my blog. Maybe I should write in it more. But I honestly don't know what to write sometimes.

Like right now.

What does my life consist of?

Well, at this moment in time, I am watching/listening to an online lecture. Very dull. I don't think I should elaborate. I've been doing this almost all day.

Earlier today, however, I babysat my pastor's children. Cutest little kids ever! We had fun playing Bob the Builder. Aiden, the oldest, turned five yesterday and was given a tool kit. If I had a little boy, I would do the same thing. I love tools! All guys should have a good tool kit. That's my belief, anyways. The tools he was given were pretty nice, too - all metal and wood. He wanted to play with them, but his dad told him he was only allowed to play with the wooden mallet (= hammer to him) and the wrench. He went around the house "bolting things" and "fixing things." I let him "fix" a puzzle that his little sister Ella and I were putting together. He "fixed" a baby doll that I pretended was my child. The baby kept getting eaten by a shark, falling down stairs and hitting her head. It was tragic. She even died a couple times, but thank goodness that "Bob the Builder" was able to "fix" her.

Besides playing Bob the Builder, we read books, watched a little TV, ate some lunch and snacks, and did a puzzle 1.5 times. I was very impressed because their mother just called me to follow up on the babysitting. She wasn't there when I got there nor when I left, so I didn't get to see her. I thought it was great, though, that she called me to ask about discipline issues. I told her about the only small problem I had (those children were very well behaved) and she said she would talk to Aiden about it. The parents of children I babysat in England never asked about discipline issues. Even if they did, and I told them the kids were a little fussy, they didn't really do anything about it. It was so nice to see how godly parents handle babysitting. I've never really seen it before outside of my own family. I'm taking notes. And I'm excited because I get to babysit Aiden and Ella for the next three weeks! :)

Today I listened to a song that I found under the "Free Songs" section of my church family's worship leader's website. Wow, that was a confusing sentance. Basically, the worship leader for my church, Ross King, is a musician and makes CDs and travels around doing shows and stuff. I love the music he writes! So I was on his website today, and came across a song that he had written. You can click on this link to hear it. I started tearing up a little when I heard the lyrics. I would encourage you to listen to the song. If you can't hear what he's saying, here are the words:

I couldn’t find You in the sermons
I couldn’t find You in the songs
I couldn’t find You Sunday morning
And that’s when I knew something had gone wrong
I couldn’t see You in the reading
I couldn’t hear You in my prayers
I couldn’t feel You in my feelings
And I began to fear that You weren’t there

Then I thought I heard a sound
Somewhere in me
You said to stoop way down
And that’s where You’d be

I never thought I’d find You here
Way down in my shame and fear
I never thought that You’d draw near to this
My faithlessness
I never thought to look for You
In this ditch that I’ve been crawling through
I never thought You’d listen to the plea
Of the non-religious me

They told me they’d be praying for me
And then they showed me to the door
They made it clear that they’d ignore me
Until I wasn’t struggling anymore
That’s when I started feeling guilty
This must’ve been my fault somehow
If only I’d been stronger, maybe
I would not be in this mess right now

Then I saw a nail-scarred hand
Bleeding on me
You said, “I understand”
And You showed me mercy

I never thought I’d find You here
Way down in my shame and fear
I never thought that You’d draw near to this
My faithlessness
I never thought to look for You
In this ditch that I’ve been crawling through
I never thought You’d listen to the plea
Of the non-religious me

If we have no room for strugglers
Where are they to go for answers?
Didn’t Jesus ask His Father for another way?
And what does that say
About the way we handle
People when their faith is fragile?
Even Jesus slipped and stumbled when He
Carried the cross
Now the curse of the law is gone
And in it’s place: amazing grace

Blessed are the poor in spirit
The Kingdom will belong to them
Your love is strong but still they fear that
You would never let them in
God, I am a true believer
Help me overcome my unbelief
I stepped out on the raging water
And now I’m sinking in the sea

I never thought I'd find You here
Drowning in my shame and fear
I never thought that You’d draw near to this
My faithlessness
I never thought to look for You
In this ditch that I’ve been crawling through
I never thought You’d listen to the plea
Of the non-religious me

Anyways, I thought I would share that with you. I think we all can relate to that on some level.

Other news: I think I am going to start collecting blankets. If you know me, you know that I love cuddling up on the couch with a nice blanket. I'm pretty much always cold. Well, I don't really have any blankets other than a fleece A&M one that my cousin gave me when I became and Aggie, and another fleece one that is actually a sleeping bag. I bought that one when I went to Juarez. I want my house to have lots of random blankets in it. People always seem to have those quilts that their grandmothers make, and other old blankets that have sentimental value. I don't have any. I am now taking blanket donations. If you have any old blankets you don't want, I will take them! Haha. Please wash them first, unless they have a cool old smell. I like the old blanket smell.

Thanks and Gig 'Em.

-Katie

2 comments:

Ashley said...

so when i saw the picture at the beginning of this post, i thought maybe it was some famous person. then when i finished reading this post, i still didn't understand who that might be. i'm sitting here by myself, and when it finally dawned on me that you were illustrating your new blanket love, i literally said "ohh" outloud... to myself. i think that means i miss you a lot and without seeing you all the time, i get a little... dense! :) hahaha!

Anonymous said...

Man, that song is so true. And the Lord has showed me that particularly this week. It is so amazing to know that the Lord accepts me for who I am not matter what I have done or struggled with. I miss you Katie!